Awesome Deep Learning Project Ideas
A curated list of practical deep learning and machine learning project ideas
- 30+ ideas
- Relevant to both the academia and industry
- Ranges from beginner friendly to research projects
Hackathon Ideas - Project ideas unlocked by use of Large Language Models, specially text to text – note that a lot of the text to text ideas can also be buit a lot better with LLMs now!
Text - With some topics about Natural language processing
Forecasting - Most of the topics in this section is about Time Series and similar forecasting challenges
Vision - With topics about image and video processing
Music and Audio - These topics are about combining ideas from language and audio to understand music
Natural Language Understanding
- Sentence to Sentence semantic similarity
- Can you identify question pairs that have the same intent or meaning?
- Dataset: Quora question pairs with similar questions marked
- Fight online abuse
- Open Domain question answering
- Automatic text summarization
- Can you create a summary with the major points of the original document?
- Abstractive (write your own summary) and Extractive (select pieces of text from original) are two popular approaches
- Dataset: CNN and DailyMail News Pieces by Google DeepMind
- Copy-cat Bot
Check mlm/blog for some hints.
- Univariate Time Series Forecasting
- Multi-variate Time Series Forecasting
- Demand/load forecasting
- Predict Blood Donation
- We’re interested in predicting if a blood donor will donate within a given time window.
- More on the problem statement at Driven Data.
- Dataset: UCI ML Datasets Repo
- Movie Recommender
- Can you predict the rating a user will give on a movie?
- Do this using the movies that user has rated in the past, as well as the ratings similar users have given similar movies.
- Dataset: Netflix Prize and MovieLens Datasets
- Search + Recommendation System
- Predict which Xbox game a visitor will be most interested in based on their search query
- Dataset: BestBuy
- Can you predict Influencers in the Social Network?
- How can you predict social influencers?
- Dataset: PeerIndex
- Image classification
- Object recognition or image classification task is how Deep Learning shot up to it’s present-day resurgence
- Diagnosing and Segmenting Brain Tumors and Phenotypes using MRI Scans
- Dataset: MICCAI Machine Learning Challenge aka MLC 2014
- Identify endangered right whales in aerial photographs
- Can computer vision spot distracted drivers?
- Bone X-Ray competition
- Can you identify if a hand is broken from a X-ray radiographs automatically with better than human performance?
- Stanford’s Bone XRay Deep Learning Competition with MURA Dataset
- Image Captioning
- Can you caption/explain the photo a way human would?
- Dataset: MS COCO
- Image Segmentation/Object Detection
- Large-Scale Video Understanding
- Can you produce the best video tag predictions?
- Dataset: YouTube 8M
- Video Summarization
- Style Transfer
- Can you recompose images in the style of other images?
- Dataset: fzliu on GitHub shared target and source images with results
- Chest XRay
- Can you detect if someone is sick from their chest XRay? Or guess their radiology report?
- Dataset: MIMIC-CXR at Physionet
- Clinical Diagnostics: Image Identification, classification & segmentation
- Can you help build an open source software for lung cancer detection to help radiologists?
- Link: Concept to clinic challenge on DrivenData
- Satellite Imagery Processing for Socioeconomic Analysis
- Satellite Imagery Processing for Automated Tagging
- Can you automatically tag satellite images with human features such as buildings, roads, waterways and so on?
- Help free the manual effort in tagging satellite imagery: Kaggle Dataset by DSTL, UK
- Music/Audio Recommendation Systems
- Music Genre recognition using neural networks
- Can you identify the musical genre using their spectrograms or other sound information?
- Datasets: FMA or GTZAN on Keras
- Get started with Librosa for feature extraction
Can I use the ideas here for my thesis?
Yes, totally! I’d love to know how it went.
Do you have any advice before I start my project?
Advice for Short Term Machine Learning Projects by Tim R. is a pretty good starting point!
How can I add my ideas here?
Just send a pull request and we’ll discuss?
Hey, something is wrong here!
Yikes, I am sorry. Please tell me by raising a GitHub issue.
I’ll fix it as soon as possible.
Problems are motivated by the ones shared at:
Built with lots of keyboard smashing and copy-pasta love by NirantK. Find me on Twitter!
This repository is licensed under the MIT License. Please see the LICENSE file for more details.