Awesome Deep Learning Project Ideas
A curated list of practical deep learning and machine learning project ideas
- 30+ ideas
- Relevant to both the academia and industry
- Ranges from beginner friendly to research projects
Text - With some topics about Natural language processing
Forecasting - Most of the topics in this section is about Time Series and similar forecasting challenges
Vision - With topics about image and video processing
Covid19 - Multi or Single Domain ideas from the Covid19 theme
Music and Audio - These topics are about combining ideas from language and audio to understand music
- Classify Bing Queries as either specific (e.g. about a specific location) or generic. You might have to figure out a more exact definition of specific or generic though
- Dataset: BingCoronavirusQuerySet
Covid Clinical Data
- Rank and sort high risk patients using clinical data. Pick an interpretable approach if you can.
- Dataset: CovidClinicalData
If you haven’t already, checkout Kaggle’s Covid19 Section as well. It has datasets and ideas both.
Natural Language Understanding
- Automated essay grading
- The purpose of this project is to implement and train machine learning algorithms to automatically assess and grade essay responses.
- Dataset: Essays with human graded scores
- Sentence to Sentence semantic similarity
- Can you identify question pairs that have the same intent or meaning?
- Dataset: Quora question pairs with similar questions marked
- Fight online abuse
- Open Domain question answering
- Social Chat/Conversational Bots
- Automatic text summarization
- Can you create a summary with the major points of the original document?
- Abstractive (write your own summary) and Extractive (select pieces of text from original) are two popular approaches
- Dataset: CNN and DailyMail News Pieces by Google DeepMind
- Copy-cat Bot
Check mlm/blog for some hints.
- Sentiment Analysis
- Univariate Time Series Forecasting
- Multi-variate Time Series Forecasting
- Demand/load forecasting
- Predict Blood Donation
- We’re interested in predicting if a blood donor will donate within a given time window.
- More on the problem statement at Driven Data.
- Dataset: UCI ML Datasets Repo
- Movie Recommender
- Can you predict the rating a user will give on a movie?
- Do this using the movies that user has rated in the past, as well as the ratings similar users have given similar movies.
- Dataset: Netflix Prize and MovieLens Datasets
- Search + Recommendation System
- Predict which Xbox game a visitor will be most interested in based on their search query
- Dataset: BestBuy
- Can you predict Influencers in the Social Network?
- How can you predict social influencers?
- Dataset: PeerIndex
- Image classification
- Object recognition or image classification task is how Deep Learning shot up to it’s present-day resurgence
- Diagnosing and Segmenting Brain Tumors and Phenotypes using MRI Scans
- Dataset: MICCAI Machine Learning Challenge aka MLC 2014
- Identify endangered right whales in aerial photographs
- Can computer vision spot distracted drivers?
- Bone X-Ray competition
- Can you identify if a hand is broken from a X-ray radiographs automatically with better than human performance?
- Stanford’s Bone XRay Deep Learning Competition with MURA Dataset
- Image Captioning
- Can you caption/explain the photo a way human would?
- Dataset: MS COCO
- Image Segmentation/Object Detection
- Large-Scale Video Understanding
- Can you produce the best video tag predictions?
- Dataset: YouTube 8M
- Video Summarization
- Style Transfer
- Can you recompose images in the style of other images?
- Dataset: fzliu on GitHub shared target and source images with results
- Chest XRay
- Can you detect if someone is sick from their chest XRay? Or guess their radiology report?
- Dataset: MIMIC-CXR at Physionet
- Face Recognition
- Clinical Diagnostics: Image Identification, classification & segmentation
- Can you help build an open source software for lung cancer detection to help radiologists?
- Link: Concept to clinic challenge on DrivenData
- Satellite Imagery Processing for Socioeconomic Analysis
- Satellite Imagery Processing for Automated Tagging
- Can you automatically tag satellite images with human features such as buildings, roads, waterways and so on?
- Help free the manual effort in tagging satellite imagery: Kaggle Dataset by DSTL, UK
- Music/Audio Recommendation Systems
- Music Genre recognition using neural networks
- Can you identify the musical genre using their spectrograms or other sound information?
- Datasets: FMA or GTZAN on Keras
- Get started with Librosa for feature extraction
Can I use the ideas here for my thesis?
Yes, totally! I’d love to know how it went.
Do you have any advice before I start my project?
Advice for Short Term Machine Learning Projects by Tim R. is a pretty good starting point!
Would you like to share my solution/code to a problem here?
Sure - why not?
Go to the GitHub issues tab in this repository and let me know there.
How can I add my ideas here?
Just send a pull request and we’ll discuss?
Hey, something is wrong here!
Yikes, I am sorry. Please tell me by raising a GitHub issue.
I’ll fix it as soon as possible.
Problems are motivated by the ones shared at:
Built with lots of keyboard smashing and copy-pasta love by NirantK. Find me on Twitter!
These ideas have been seen by people in last few months!
If you are interested in seeing exclusive machine learning and deep learning project ideas, share your e-mail address here!
This repository is licensed under the MIT License. Please see the LICENSE file for more details.